Sunday 8 August 2010

Goals

I’ve been training a little over 4 years now and it always seems to be this time of year when I really focus on improving my Parkour ability and setting some goals for myself. That’s not meaning to say I only set goals for myself every summer, it’s important to set goals for yourself and assess your body’s performance constantly, whether it’s technical ability, strength, cardiovascular fitness or overcoming mental barriers. E.g. breaking new jumps in the rain or trying to do everything you’ve done before on your first attempt. It’s this attitude to training that will consistently improve your level.

I’ve set many goals in the past for myself, many of them challenging but all realistic and I achieved many of them. Keeping your word is another thing that helps me on my way. You set yourself a realistic goal, achieve it and keep moving. Learning to trust my own intentions and achieving them really helps strengthen my mental attitude to training. Although you feel great for achieving your goal, you never feel satisfied – again, it’s this attitude to training that will really push you to keep improving yourself. The moment you’re satisfied is the moment lose your desire to improve.

Some people may be good at a certain technique or exercise and constantly improve and focus on this one technique. Sure they look talented and credit to them improving it. But if it’s only one thing you’re good at, you’re already missing out a huge chunk in your training. I try not to neglect some aspects of Parkour, training in general or pretty much anything in life. Sometimes you can get caught up doing loads of the same thing and then suddenly realise you haven’t done a certain technique for a while and when you attempt it, it doesn’t feel as casual as the other techniques you’ve been doing recently. I try to avoid training like this. I like to always look for things I’m not so good at or movements I haven’t trained at for a while, and always mix it up. Personally I’m more concerned about the things I’m bad at, not the things I’m good at; like I’m forever chasing myself.

I’ve outlined the positives of setting goals for yourself. So I guess now it’s time I share some of my goals with you that I’ve set for this season:

•Power – I’d like to improve my jump distance.
•Confidence – Improve my confidence to the level that I can do things first time, especially the things I’ve already done. Also to apply my power to my confidence
•Distance – Improve the distance I can get from Catpasses (Kong vaults).
•Know my capabilities – To fully understand what my body is capable of.

I’ll focus on these goals until I feel I’ve achieved them. I know how to achieve them, but achieving them alone is something else. I’ll let you all know how I’ve gotten on with my goals in the near future.

This post may seem a little short on my views and goals in my training, but I’d like to include a little side note which I find relevant and to hopefully help people on their way.

Politics! In Parkour, it’s a fairly new sport so it’s hard for people to get the real picture for what it really is. I see a lot of discussions and arguments over the discipline and some of this can interfere with peoples training. My advice to this is to keep training for yourself with the right intentions. Set goals, train with friends, by yourself, have a fun time, be sensible, be cautious, be polite, join in the community and keep on your path to constant improvements happiness and whatever your intentions take you to! It’s not about competitiveness. It’s for you. Do what you feel is right, setting your own personal goals and achieving them will really help to keep this feeling inside you.

I know all of us in LPA think like this, this is one of the reasons we hold our monthly community sessions – it really brings people together and the atmosphere is full of energy and respect.

Monthy Community Session - June 2010

Our monthly sessions are our way of bringing the community together. Anyone is welcome; to find out when our next Monthly session is or any other ongoing session, just log onto our forum by clicking here.

I hope this post helps clear the fog in some minds out there. It’s the way I see it, and I’m training much more positively.

Train safe!

-Sam

1 comment:

  1. ALlo, bonjour,I'm an anglo/Franco traceur based in Leicester. There's a serious lack of curiosity about L'art deplacement among many of the so-called experienced runners here. They've got no drive to develop. There's always places to practice however, they seem adamant to choose the same boring spots. Crowded roads and private buildings that give only a little time to train without being moved on.

    ReplyDelete